20 May 2011
LEGAZPI CITY, (PIA) --- Count out Malaria and Dengue Now!
This is the strong battle cry from the World Health Organization (WHO) particularly for the Philippines in support to the efforts of the Department of Health (DOH) in implementing the National Malaria Strategic Plan for 2011-2016 and strengthening the National Dengue Prevention and Control Programme.
WHO revealed that death from malaria have been declining by 63 percent since 2005. However, it remains a significant problem in the country, now the eight leading cause of illness affecting up to 10.2 million people.
Ninety percent of malaria cases is found in the poorest provinces. Adding to this health threat is the rapidly rising incidence of dengue cases during the last decade.
As a significant initiative of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), the Industrial Technology Development Institute (DOST-ITDI) in cooperation with the Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) developed the "Ovi/Larvicidal (OL) Trap System", a technology for control of female Aedes Mosquito utilizing natural larvicide that kills eggs and larvae of Aedes mosquitoes as carriers of dengue virus.
With initial significant results, the widespread adoption of the technology will greatly benefit the people in the country.
DOST launched the nationwide action project, Roll-Out of OL Trap System, now on its final phase through the distribution of OL trap kits in identified areas with high prevalence of dengue cases recorded in 2010.
For Bicol, DOST in partnership with DOH-Center for Development Health, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the local government units (LGUs) will conduct the Roll-Out of OL Trap System for Aedes Mosquito in May-November 2011.
OL traps will be distributed to 2,800 households in 28 identified areas in the provinces of Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Catanduanes, Masbate and Sorsogon. In Legazpi City, two barangay, Washington Drive and Bogtong were the identified beneficiaries/recipients where the OL traps will be installed in 100 households.
Kick-off activities (Regional Launching and Orientation cum Training for Focal Persons) for the Roll-Out of OL Trap Project is set onon May 26, 2011 at Ibalong Conference Room (ICR) City Hall Compound, Legazpi City.
Considering the importance and impact of this project, DOST, DOH, DILG and LGUs as partner-agencies enjoin the active support and participation of project stakeholders/ beneficiaries in identified areas in the Bicol Region. (MAL/POL, DOST V)
- 24/05/2011 14:43 - DTI, magtatalaga ng sentro ng mga Business Permit and Licensing System sa 39 LGUs sa Bikol
- 20/05/2011 01:36 - Iba ang boksing sa legislation - Lagman
- 20/05/2011 01:36 - 9th ID, nagtaram na sa reklamong pambabanog kan mga CAFGU sa 3 sibilyan
- 20/05/2011 01:35 - Peñafrancia Summer Festival, gigibuhon sa Naga City
- 20/05/2011 01:34 - 5,275 tricycle drivers to receive cash subsidy under Pantawid Pasada
- 20/05/2011 01:33 - Fiber authority pursigidong iangat industriya ng abaka
- 20/05/2011 01:33 - Inspeksyon sa mga boarding house sa siyudad nakatakdang isagawa
- 20/05/2011 01:31 - Rice subsidy ng DSWD, isinulong para sa mga magsasaka, mangingisda
- 20/05/2011 01:29 - Serbisyong-bayan, isinasagawa ng pamahalaan ng Daet
- 19/05/2011 14:06 - Pagpili sa mga iskolar ng bayan, isinasagawa sa Cam Norte